Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please; they do not make it under self-selected circumstances, but under circumstances existing already, given and transmitted from the past. The tradition of all dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brains of the living
Karl Marx The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte (1852)
Raul, a Mexican sociologist and political scientist, is currently a PhD Student in the Defence Studies Department at King’s College London, part of Conflict, Security & Development Research Group of the War Studies Department. Also, President of the Mexican Society of Students in the United Kingdom.
His PhD Project title is Development, Violent Conflict and Youth Mobilisation by Organised Crime in Mexico.
He previously studied political science at the National Autonomous University of Mexico and El Colegio de México. Also has worked for the Mexican Government in legislative affairs and for the Mexican Senate as a junior researcher on Mexican politics.
- Conflict, security and development
- Organised crime and violence
- Sociology of armed groups
- Education policy
- Political economy of inequality
- Mexican Politics (Specialised in Parliamentary Studies)
- Policy and politics of climate change
- Political philosophy and theory
- Epistemology of social sciences