Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please; they do not make it under self-selected circumstances, but under circumstances existing already, given and transmitted from the past. The tradition of all dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brains of the living
Karl Marx The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte (1852)
Raul, a Mexican sociologist and political scientist, is currently a PhD Student in the Defence Studies Department at King’s College London, and part of Conflict, Security & Development Research Group of the War Studies Department.
Currently President of The Society of Mexican Students in the United Kingdom, and Delegate to the National Conference of the National Students Union (NUS).
He previously studied political science at the National Autonomous University of Mexico and El Colegio de México. Also has worked for the Mexican Government in legislative affairs and for the Mexican Senate as a junior researcher on Mexican politics.
- Conflict, security and development
- Organised crime and violence
- Sociology of armed groups
- Education policy
- Political economy of inequality
- Mexican politics (specialised in parliamentary studies)
- Climate resilience, policy and politics of climate change
- Democracy, authoritarianism, and social cleavages
- Noria Mexico & Central America
- Urban Violence Research Network
- Seminario de Violencia y Paz de El Colegio de México
- Environmental Security Research Group
- Marxist Contemporary Research Group
- Democracia Deliberada
- Ciudadanía 19S
- International Political Science Association
- Red Mexicana de Estudios por la Paz